One of the most important recommendations I give all my clients is to consider using a pre-workout supplement for the intense training days.
Whether you're aiming to drop some pounds or in a severe cutting phase to gain muscle definition, a slight performance boost from some organic energy could make quite a difference.
Organic pre-workouts allow you to work harder to get more out of your gym time. The problem is that there is a lot of dodgy snake oil out there that you want to avoid.
So our team got together with some dietitians to come up with a list of organic pre-workouts that we would recommend to our clients.
Our Top Organic Pre-Workouts
1 - Transparent Labs BULK Pre-Workout (Editor's Choice)
BULK from Transparent Labs is one of the top-selling pre-workout powders due to its trustworthy ingredients, transparency, and lack of artificial additives.
This pre-workout supplement has Citrulline Malate, Beta-Alanine, Taurine, and other energy-boosting compounds. Transparent Labs chose the first ingredient over L-arginine. It improves muscle endurance, strength, and performance while raising nitric oxide twice as L-arginine.
If you want to train more and feel less sore the next day, consider using BULK as your pre-workout supplement.
- Citrulline Malate boosts nitric oxide more
- Over 3,000 5-star reviews on their website
- A large variety of flavors
- No artificial ingredients
- Some reviews say the flavors don’t taste as pleasant
Each container of this supplement could give up to 30 servings. It could be enough since it’s packed with energy-giving nutrients. The product could make me focused and energized whenever I do my daily workout routine.
2 - 4 Gauge Pre-Workout
4 Gauge is one of the more popular organic pre-workout supplements mostly with bodybuilders.
It claims to boost nitric oxide levels, which may have a direct impact on the blood flow to muscles .
If you’re looking for bigger pumps, then this pre-workout might be your best option.
- Contains L-citrulline that may help boost nitric oxide
- Positive comments that it may help increase focus and motivation
- A strong dose of caffeine which may help with fat burning
- Reports of good strength and stamina improvements
- Only available in a fruit blast berry flavor
Unfortunately, there’s only one flavor available, which makes mixing with food a bit more difficult. Nonetheless, this organic pre-workout is positively reviewed by many users as it helped increase focus and motivation.
3 - Powher Pre-Workout
The second organic pre-workout supplement I want to highlight is Powher Pre-Workout, which is specifically formulated for women.
This pre-workout has the advantage that you may not need to adjust the serving size to your body, and it also doesn’t come with the same bulking effect of other products.
Just keep in mind that there are some sweeteners added in this organic pre-workout, still all natural though, for better flavor.
- Female pre-workout formula for less of a bulking effect
- Claims to give a natural energy boost
- A relatively small amount of caffeine to avoid jitters and crashes
- Contains a small amount of sweeteners
4 - Ora Organic Pre-Workout Powder
Ora Organic has created a pre-workout supplement with organic plant-based ingredients, and it comes with all the certifications you need to see.
What’s particularly convenient is that you can buy it in boxes of small packets so it can easily fit in your gym bag.
If you’re looking for vegan, organic, and natural pre-workout supplements, this is the one to order.
- Formulated with natural ingredients that may help increase nitric oxide for bigger pumps
- Available in tubs and convenient single-serving packets
- Certified USDA organic and vegan-friendly
- Dairy and gluten-free
- Only available in one flavor
More flavor options would be great if you get bored with the same ones easily.
It is also 100% vegan-friendly, and dairy and gluten-free, perfect for vegans looking for a pre-workout.
5 - Organic Muscle Organic Natural Pre-Workout Supplement
Organic Muscle has created quite a comprehensive list of ingredients including eleuthero root, matcha green tea, maca root, beet root, yerba mate, to name just a few.
Their approach is to keep this organic pre-workout supplement as natural as possible to support natural processes in your body.
The only downside I’d mention with Organic Muscle Pre-Workout is that the company hides behind a proprietary blend.
- The unique pre-workout formula claims to help with energy, pumps, and metabolic boost
- Gluten, GMO, and hormone-free for added peace of mind
- Suitable for vegans with only plant-based natural ingredients
- Contains yerba mate and matcha green tea that may help with detox
- Proprietary blend means you don’t know the exact amounts of ingredients
6 - Genius Brand Pre
Another one of the popular organic and natural pre-workout supplements on our team is this Genius product, claiming to provide natural and organic energy.
I personally find that it may be a good option if you plan on taking it later in the day.
With no stimulants or caffeine, it reduces the chances of jitters and sleepless nights.
If you like caffeine in your pre-workout, you can supplement with their Genius Caffeine product.
- Contains L-citrulline and beta alanine that may help with endurance
- Positive reviews from users saying they noticed enhanced brain function and muscle energy
- Stimulant-free option to avoid jitters
- The flavor is refreshing
- May require blending for a smooth texture
I found that this pre-workout doesn’t get all that smooth in a shaker, so maybe consider blending it for better taste.
7 - Legion Pulse Natural Pre-Workout Supplement
For some people, a pre-workout supplement has to give both physical and mental endurance.
With Legion Pulse pre-workout, there are quite a lot of positive comments that it may help you stay focused and motivated.
However, you may want to reduce the dose to start with, as it’s got a lot of caffeine.
- Claims to boost blood-flow with 8 mg of L-citrulline
- Contains electrolytes to help with hydration
- Good selection of flavors to avoid getting bored
- Also available as a caffeine-free option
- 350 mg caffeine is very high so avoid taking it later in the day
Don’t make the same mistake I did and take it before an 8 pm gym session!
8 - Nature's Pump Natural Pre-Workout Supplement
What we all liked about Nature’s Pump pre-workout is that there are also some added vitamins and electrolytes that may help with muscle performance under stress.
While I did enjoy that natural watermelon flavor, a few more options would have been great.
- Reviews say that it may help with muscle recovery as well
- Added vitamin B6 and B12 for muscle performance
- Mixes smoothly without the need for blending
- Claims to work as a brain nootropic for better concentration
- Only available in watermelon flavor
9 - Do Vitamins PurePump Natural Pre-Workout
PurePump provides quite a unique blend of BCAAs and vitamins that aim to support consistent muscle function in their organic pre-workout supplement.
For professional athletes, it might also be a good choice due to the third-party testing for purity and quality.
Just keep in mind that the caffeine from green tea is about as high as a cup and a half of coffee.
- A unique combination of proteins and vitamins
- Contains no sweeteners or flavors so you can mix it with other food
- Labdoor tested for purity and quality
- Added 200 mg of caffeine from green tea leaf extract
- Only available as an unflavored option
10 - Garden of Life Sport Organic Pre-Workout
Garden of Life has created an organic pre-workout that doesn’t just aim to improve your physical performance.
With some known detox ingredients, it might also help you flush out toxins during weight loss efforts.
I would agree with some reviews that said that the taste is a bit on the sweet side.
- Combines ingredients that may support detox and increased blood-flow
- A moderate amount of caffeine to reduce jitters
- Also available in single-serving packets
- May provide a good vitamin boost from green superfoods
- Flavors may be a little on the sweet side
11 - Naked Energy All-Natural Pre-Workout
Naked Energy aims to only include ingredients from natural sources, which includes caffeine.
Rather than source it in anhydrous form, it’s included directly from green coffee bean extract.
Keep in mind that this organic pre-workout powder is a bit grainy and the taste is a little bitter, which can be off putting for some.
- A good dose of natural caffeine from green coffee bean sources
- Contains amino acids beta-alanine and creatine that may help endurance
- Contains added vitamins for muscle performance and immune health
- Available as flavored and unflavored to mix into snacks
- Taste is a bit bitter and may require blending
Organic Pre-Workout Supplements Buyer's Guide
After a lengthy discussion and a slightly heated debate, we did manage to come up with 4 things that all of us would prioritize. If your organic and natural pre-workout powder or supplement contains the following, you could be setting yourself up for good results.
1 - Certified Organic Ingredients
Always look out for something like a USDA certificate that ensures all the ingredients are organic. Yes, there are some less than honest companies out there that add a few organic ingredients along with some that aren’t.
2 - BCAAs
Branched-chain amino acids have been shown in numerous clinical trials to support better muscle function and strength. But it’s also known to help with muscle repair and recovery, which may help with better results across multiple workout sessions .
BCAAs are essential amino acids. The body cannot make them, so a person needs to get BCAAs from their diet or from supplements.
- Adrienne Stinson, Health and Fitness Writer
Related Article: Pre-Workout vs BCAA
3 - Caffeine
Most people are aware of the magic it can do to your brain to get you focused. But caffeine may also work as a fat burner by triggering thermogenesis . It's one of the most effective pre-workout ingredients.
Also read our take on the difference between pre-workout vs caffeine pills.
4 - Formulated For Men Or Women
Ideally, you should pick a product specifically designed for your gender.
Women may especially find that the energy boost and stimulant effects of a regular pre workout could sometimes be too high.
While taking a lower dose is always an option, it’s much easier just to pick a gender-specific pre-workout.
Here are some of our favorite pre-workouts for women.
Now, there is one important thing to consider, as well...
How Are Organic Pre-Workouts Sweetened?
Organic pre-workouts are sweetened with natural flavors, but some do contain artificial ingredients as well.
Here are some things that may sound like artificial sweeteners, but they are actually natural and often organic:
1 - Stevia
Stevia is one of the unique sweeteners out there because it’s a natural substance that doesn’t add calories. Sourced from the stevia plant, this has long been a natural way to sweeten food in South America .
2 - Monk Fruit
This is another natural product, and some argue it is better tasting than stevia. With zero carbs, calories, and possible antioxidant effects, it’s also one of the more expensive options .
To make monk fruit sweetener, first, the skin and seeds of the fruit must be removed. The fruit is then crushed and the juice is collected.
- Amanda Capritto, Nutrition Expert
3 - Brown Rice Syrup
While it’s natural and often organic, this should not be mistaken as a healthy option. Brown rice syrup contains more calories than regular sugar and, therefore, also has a much higher glycemic index .
There are no rewards for guessing that this may not help any weight loss efforts.
4 - Erythritol
This is made from fermented cornstarch and is claimed to be about 70% as sweet as sugar, without the calories and carbs . That does make it more suitable for pre-workout supplements, but some people find it makes them gassy.
Not a pleasant experience at the gym!
5 - Coconut Palm Sugar
I had to be corrected by my dietitian who told me that this is not actually extracted from coconut water, but rather the sap of the tree itself. The sap is then dehydrated into a syrup, and you need to keep in mind that it’s quite high in calories.
6 - No Sweetener Option
Generally, I think that it’s best to stay away from overly sweetened options. If you don’t mind stevia or monk fruit, then those may be a better option. And I would also say that it’s as important to avoid artificial sweeteners as it is to avoid high-calorie ones.
Now onto a pressing question.
Organic vs Non-Organic Pre-workouts
Organic pre-workouts are better than non-organic ones as there are some substantial health benefits.
Non-organic pre-workouts mainly contain highly concentrated extracts of different plants, so this could lead to higher concentrations of toxins from pesticides and herbicides.
With certified organic products, you significantly reduce your chances of being heavily exposed to such harmful toxins that, in many cases, build up quickly in your system.
Buying Organic Pre-Workout Vs. Making It At Home
If you look online, you’ll find some pretty good recipes to make your own organic pre-workout supplement in the form of a snack.
The problem is that in order to get enough of the good stuff, your snack could quickly turn into a meal.
And do you really want a big meal before heading to the gym?
A better option is to use a concentrated organic pre-workout supplement that could give you the best natural energy boost by using completely organic ingredients. What you get in a small shake could take quite a large meal to achieve otherwise.
Benefits Of Organic Pre-Workout Supplements
When you take organic pre-workouts, there are a few benefits that I have experienced myself and with my clients. Here’s what to look out for:
- An energy boost that may allow you to lift more in each set or increase your reps.
- Added motivation from knowing that you could be getting to your goals faster.
- Increased fat metabolism as some thermogenic processes kick in.
- Achieve more mental focus throughout the day.
Side Effects Of Organic Pre-Workout Supplements
Even the best organic products could produce some negative pre-workout side effects, which is why I always recommend that you start slowly with a half scoop. Mostly, side effects come down to allergies or intolerances, and this is what you want to look out for:
- Bloated feeling
- Excess gas
- Jitters and insomnia
- Energy crashes
- Itchy mouth and skin
If any of these appear, then it’s best to switch to a different product or check with your doctor about some possible allergies.
Our #1 Recommended Organic Pre-Workout
Our list highlights some of the best organic pre-workouts, but if I had to opt for one to recommend to my clients, it would be BULK from Transparent Labs.
This pre-workout powder has trustworthy and natural formula containing effective ingredients like Citrulline Malate, Beta-Alanine, Taurine, and other energy boosters.
I discovered that most of my clients looking to lose weight and bodybuilders looking to bulk up enjoyed its benefits. Check it out yourself.