Almost everyone knows Tobey Maguire from his role in the Spiderman films. But what many people don’t know is how Maguire achieved his strength and physique for those roles.
I was actually curious about it myself, and at the same time, I was looking for a way to motivate my Marvel Comics-loving clients with a superhero diet and workout routine. So I spent a few weeks on the internet doing my research and watching many of Maguire’s interviews.
After consulting with my colleagues from the gym, I finalized Maguire’s workout and diet that helped him become Spider-man.
- Tobey Maguire's workout includes dips, incline dumbbell presses, bicep preacher curls, seated cable rows, barbell bicep curls, leg extensions, hamstring curls, and crunches.
- Maguire's diet is strictly vegan, and comprises high-protein diet, and low-fats.
- Wellness shots, and vegan protein powders are the supplements Tobey Maguire takes.
Tobey Maguire Stats
- D.O.B: June 27, 1975 (46 years old)
- Height: 5'8" (173 cm)
- Weight: 157 lbs (71 kgs)
- Chest: 40 inches (102 cm)
- Waist: 29 inches (76 cm)
- Biceps: 13 inches (36 cm)
What Does the Tobey Maguire Workout Routine Consist Of?
Tobey Maguire's workout routine consists of both intense cardio and lifting weights. Let’s get right into it.
Below is Maguire's step-by-step cardio routine.
- 20 mins on the treadmill (with a 2% incline).
- For the next 10 minutes, raise your heart rate to 75%.
- After 20 minutes, stop and do these three ab exercises: accordion crunches, side bridges, and supermans.
- Get back on the treadmill for two minutes (at 85% heart rate).
- Repeat the circuit for a total of four rounds.
Related Article: Best Cardio Machines for Your Home Gym
Day One: Chest and Triceps
Perform three sets of eight reps for the following exercises:
- Incline Dumbbell Press
- Barbell Bench Press
- Pec-Dec Fly
- Lying Triceps Extension
- Close-Grip Bench Press
Day Two: Back and Biceps
Perform three sets of eight to 10 reps for the following exercises:
Day Three: Legs and Calves
Perform three sets of 10–12 reps for the following exercises:
- Hack Squat
- Leg Extension
- Hamstring Curls
Day Four: Shoulders and Abs
- Seated Dumbbell Military Press
- Dumbbell Lateral Raise
- Reverse Pec-Dec Fly
- Hanging Leg Raises
- Side Bends Holding Dumbbells
Maguire also did some martial arts, gymnastics, and yoga training to assist his main workouts.
“I spend 2-4 hours working out a day, six days a week. It's a combination of strength training, cardio stuff, stretching stuff.”
- Toby Maguire, American Actor
His Diet Plan
To get into shape for his roles, Maguire followed a low-fat and high-protein diet consisting of strictly vegetarian foods.
He kept away from junk foods and anything not part of his diet.
Maguire ate every few hours to fuel his body and drank plenty of water to stay well-hydrated.
Workout and Diet Principles
After going through many of his interviews I was able to pick up some of the principles he adheres to when it comes to diet and workout.
Maguire prefers grueling cardio workouts, as his cardio routine was a killer combination of cardio and ab work. This helped him build a strong and stable core to assist his stunts and other workouts.
Tobey Maguire’s trainer, Gregory Joujon-Roche, would closely monitor his cardio to ensure he was on the correct level.
Spider-man's role required some flexibility, so Maguire added martial arts and yoga to assist his workouts, which means he values those disciplines and includes them on a daily basis.
One study showed that yoga training has a significant potential to improve flexibility and muscular strength .
Maguire became a vegetarian in the 90s, and he continued the same diet even when working on his Spider-man role. Eating eggs and dairy was part of his training and not his own diet, but he made adjustments.
His main diet principle is high amounts of plant-based protein.
However, most testosterone-supporting foods are non-vegetarian, so it can be challenging to fuel your muscles and workouts with a vegetarian diet.
This is why I usually recommend all-natural and vegan testosterone boosters to my clients to help improve gains without sacrificing their diet.
What Supplements Does Tobey Maguire Take?
Tobey Maguire took the following supplements:
- Vegan Protein Powders: Being a strong vegetarian, Maguire took vegan protein powder, which is known to have the same muscle-building effects as whey protein .
- Wellness Shots: These are known to have various benefits such as improved sleep, better cognition, lowered stress levels, and better digestion .
Who Trained Tobey Maguire for the Spider Man Movies?
Tobey Maguire was trained by celebrity trainer Gregory Joujon-Roche. He is credited for training some of the best physiques in Hollywood, including Brad Pitt, Chris Hemsworth, and Scarlett Johansson.
What Was Tobey Maguire’s Weight in Spider Man?
Tobey Maguire weighed around 155 pounds for his role as spider man.
Key Takeaways from Tobey Maguire’s Workout
What’s incredible about Maguire’s workout and nutrition is that he was able to make gains while sticking to a vegetarian (and now even vegan) diet.
While many professionals are taking care of his diet and workout so he can look the way he does, I think average vegetarians need an extra push to make up for all the creatine, L-carnitine, and similar testosterone and strength boosting compounds found only in meat.
My advice is to consider some natural testosterone boosters, as these predominantly use vegan ingredients to increase your energy levels, muscle mass, and mental focus.
About The Author
You May Also Like